domingo, 15 de septiembre de 2013

Reflection 3

“The pupil who is never required to do what he cannot do, never does what he can do.” John Stuart Mill
What do you think this quote means?  Do you have high expectations for your students?

I think this quote means that if you are never pushed to the point of failure you will never achieve success. I don't think it is true. Many skills can be learned incrementally and comfortably. More important than being pushed is the possession of a burning desire for knowledge. 

In my experience with language learning, I found that Spanish came very easy. I never attended a class and I never stayed up late nights pulling my hair out trying to figure out the language. I had a burning desire to learn the language, so I did. When I could have spoken English, I spoke Spanish instead. When I could have sought out Americans or other English speakers, I avoided them instead. When I could have tuned out conversations around me, I listened in. But, I never pushed myself to the point of failure. I just learned because I wanted nothing more in the world. Spanish was the most important thing in my life at the time. I was successful in my endeavor where many are not. 

Maybe I don't have high expectations for my students. It depends on what you mean by expectations. I set high standards for their work, but I understand that they are adults. I understand that if they do not love English or writing they will only ever achieve limited success. I am there to guide not to push. I cannot make anyone want to learn, and I cannot make anyone love the subject matter. I can only guide my students down the right path. They will choose success or not. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario